[mythtv-users] Slightly OT: RF blaster

Eric Sharkey eric at lisaneric.org
Mon Sep 30 20:33:44 UTC 2013

On Mon, Sep 30, 2013 at 4:15 PM, Gary Buhrmaster
<gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 30, 2013 at 7:51 PM, Eric Sharkey <eric at lisaneric.org> wrote:
> Actually, we are mostly OT from the original topic regarding
> a specific STB and supported channel changing.  I presume
> what you mean to say is to get back on the topic you are
> interested in :-)

Well, I was trying to suggest that it might be possible to tune the
Motorola VIP-1853 over IP, since I know it's possible to do so with
the Motorola QIP-7100.

> I do not recall(*) any requirement
> that channel changing needs to be an authenticated/encrypted
> path (only that any protected content must be transported on
> a protected path).  However, I can see fun and games where
> someone decides to change the channel on someone else
> watching the "big game" just as the final seconds count down
> begins.

That's what firewalls are for.

Or are you suggesting malware could infect hosts inside the firewall
and seek out STBs on the local network?  I suppose it's possible, but
it seems like a lot of work for little gain.

Eric