[mythtv-users] can't find mythfilldatabase logs after 0.25 to 0.27 upgrade

Bill Meek keemllib at gmail.com
Mon Sep 30 19:44:20 UTC 2013

On 09/30/2013 02:25 PM, Zig wrote:

> On 9/30/2013 10:57 AM, Bill Meek wrote:
>> On 09/30/2013 10:13 AM, Zig wrote:
>>> I upgraded mythbuntu from 0.25 to 0.27 several weeks agon and since then /var/log/mythtv/mythfilldatabase.log is no longer getting updates.  I
>>> can't find another mythfilldatabase.log anywhere else on the system.
>>>
>>> Don't get me wrong, mythfilldatabase is still working, It just doesn't seem to be logging.  I wanted to verify that the command line options
>>> (--dd-grab-all) that I added via the backend setup screens were indeed taking effect.
>>>
>>> Was logging disabled in the new version?  Is there a way to enable it?
>>> Thanks.
>>
>> This was brought up back on 9/24. You're right, every thing's
>> fine, just no logs.  If you start your backend with the -v system
>> flag, I *think* you'll see a line like this in your BE log when
>> MFDB runs:
>>
>>      ... command=/usr/local/bin/mythfilldatabase --dd-grab-all --verbose general,system --logpath /var/log/mythtv --loglevel debug --quiet
>> --quiet
>>
>> where, in my case all the logging options are correct, except
>> the additional --quiet one.
>>
>> I think mythsystemlegacy() is checking if you (or I) have the
>> --quiet flag set. And, if so, it appends the 2nd quiet and
>> that prevents the log.
>>
>> Are you starting your backend with --quiet?
>>
>>     ps ax|grep mythbackend|grep -v grep
>>
>> would tell you.
>>
> Sorry to bring up the topic again.  I saw the other thread title and thought it was about mythfilldatabase not running at all.
>
> ps ax|grep mythbackend|grep -v grep returns:
> 18308 ?        Ssl    0:01 /usr/bin/mythbackend --syslog local7 --user mythtv --daemon
> so it is not being started with --quiet.
>
> I'll try adding  --logpath to the command line.

That's what I use and I don't get logging either. So, I don't
believe it will help. In your case, I think it's the --daemon
that's causing the issue (not sure if this is a problem that
needs something in Trac or just an entry in the  0.27 Release
Notes.) But logging mythfilldatabase started from the backend has
definitely changed.

If is weren't for waiting 24 hours for each test, this would
probably be easy to solve.

--
Bill