[mythtv-users] Slightly OT: RF blaster

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Mon Sep 30 14:58:00 UTC 2013

On Mon, Sep 30, 2013 at 1:09 PM, Michael T. Dean
<mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:
> On 09/30/2013 02:51 AM, Marius Schrecker wrote:
>>
>> Thanks Erik/Mike.  I probably can't. Stupid question, please ignore. :-).
>

> Not stupid.  Would be wonderful if there were some way to do that.

According to the specifications for that particular STB, it does not
show as having a RF capable receiver.  However, it does show as
having an accessory called the USB120IR which allows one to
place the IR receiver somewhere else:

http://www1.arrisi.com/staticfiles/Video-Solutions/Products/Video-CPE/Set-Top-Accessories/USB120IR/_Documents/_Staticfiles/USB120IR_specsheet_10.pdf

As with all else, check with *your* MSO to determine if they
support the accessory in your STB (it is possible for any MSO
to disable features).  Note that the docs for the USB120IR does
not show compatibility with the VIP1853, since it (the USB120IR)
was released before the VIP1853.

Here are the specs for the VIP1853 noting the compatibility with
the USB to IR remote USB120IR:

http://www1.arrisi.com/staticfiles/Video-Solutions/Products/Video-CPE/IP-Set-Tops/VIP1853/_Documents/_Static_files/VIP1853-XW-EN.pdf

Disclaimer: I do not have either the usb dongle, nor that STB,
so I am just providing the references.  Please do you own
research.

[Note that after the acquisition of Motorola Mobility to Google,
Google sold off pretty much everything other than the phone
division to Arris (except, of course, for patents, Google kept
a lot of them as a "defensive" strategy).  Going forward, all
the Motorola devices will likely eventually get relabeled as
Arris.  The battle is now between Arris and Cisco for this
marketspace.].

Gary