[mythtv-users] Moving from linhes (knoppmyth)

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Mon Sep 30 14:13:18 UTC 2013

On Sun, 29 Sep 2013 14:26:03 +0100, you wrote:

>G'day all,
>
>I have run a linhes install for ages, used to be knoppmyth.
>But it seems to be getting a bit behind the times and I find it a bit of
>a pain to modify, it is more of an appliance....
>
>I want to keep my existing info  in the DB but move to a 'real' mythtv
>install.
>It's a combined FE/BE.
>I can have a a play, but has anyone else done this before.
>I think, linhes if off at the moment that I am on 0.24-fixes (maybe
>0.25) version.
>I think download and install a 0.24-fixes on a raw Linux and restore the
>DB from linhes, then I should be able to upgrade to 0.27???
>
>Or probably update linhes to the latest which is 0.26 (I think, that is
>one of things that is hard to find out in linhes)

You can just do a new install of 0.27 on your new distro, restore your
existing 0.24 database, and it will be upgraded automatically to 0.27.
It is best to do the upgrade by running mythtv-setup, rather than
letting mythbackend startup and do it.  Before the upgrade happens,
the existing (newly restored) database will be automatically backed up
(which can take a while if yours is huge like mine).  Just wait for
the prompts to do the upgrade to appear.

I have done clean installs like this with new Mythbuntu versions
several times and it all went smoothly.