[mythtv-users] Controlling STB with Lirc

Erik Hjertén erik at hjerten.com
Mon Sep 30 09:10:10 UTC 2013

aaron skrev 2013-09-29 18:49:

> On Tue, May 28, 2013 at 11:22 AM, aaron <memoryguy at gmail.com
> <mailto:memoryguy at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     Hi Rick,
>
>     Thanks for that. I had been placing my transmitter a fair bit back
>     from the box, so I thought maybe I need it closer. I tried your
>     trick on using SEND_START and moving the device around, right in
>     front of the face of the box. But still, no luck :-(
>
>     I also tried the other suggestion of adding a delay (I tried 1
>     sec), but that also didn't help (although I had tried that with
>     the device further away). I'll have to try playing with it some
>     more when I get some time (which is less and less often... We're
>     in the process of moving into the house, finalising the wedding
>     plans, and I bunch of other stuff. Unfortunately it doesn't leave
>     much time for the important things like MythTV :-))
>

> Sorry to drudge up an old thread, but I've not had a lot of
> opportunity to look into this over the last few months. I tried moving
> the transmitter all over the place, while it was busy sending the
> "SELECT" command, but still no luck.
>
> Interestingly, while it is continuing to send"SELECT", if I pick up
> the actual Bell Fibe remote and press "Select" the box does respond...
> which hints to me that there isn't any IR interference... is it
> possible it's using different frequencies than my emitter knows about?
>
> I still haven't been able to find any other information about
> controlling this box with LIRC. All my searches just bring up this thread.
>
> I tried changing the driver back from "uirt2_raw" (which seemed to
> work to record the keys), to "usb_uirt_raw", but that didn't seem to
> make any difference... unsurprisingly. It was a long shot :)
>
> I stared more closely at the remote and I see on the back it says,
> "MXv4 IR"... which seems to be the only indication of what the remote
> is. Searching for this turns up ... not much. Apparently there is a
> car tire with the same model... and a few other providers use the same
> remote with their boxes. It's a Motorola box, so maybe it's also a
> Motorola remote, but I haven't found anything promising (based on key
> names) in the LIRC remotes repository.
>
> I really don't want to give up on MythTV (after using it for 11 years)
> ... it really makes the provided PVR's offerings look pathetic... but
> I just don't seem to be able to control the Fibe box :(
>
> aaron

I have you confirmed the USB-UIRT actually is transmitting when it
supposed to? You can use a digital camera to actually see the IR-diode
blink. I think it will work with the camera in your mobile phone if you
have one. Try it with your remote first to see if it works. Start the
camera as if you where going to take a picture of the front of the
remote, look at the remote through the camera display and press a
button. If you can see the remote blinking, then try aiming the camera
at the USB-UIRT and make it transmit.

If that's not the problem try the SEND_ONCE with the option --count=2 or
higher. I had to do that with TV to get it started.