[mythtv-users] Pixelation/Bad Recordings HDHR Prime -- I am at my wits end

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Thu Sep 26 19:56:16 UTC 2013

On 9/26/2013 3:49 PM, Tom Lichti wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 26, 2013 at 3:24 PM, Raymond Wagner <raymond at wagnerrp.com
> <mailto:raymond at wagnerrp.com>> wrote:
>
>     On 9/26/2013 3:01 PM, Stephen P. Villano wrote:
>
>         On 9/26/13 2:53 PM, Raymond Wagner wrote:
>
>             On 9/26/2013 12:52 PM, Stephen P. Villano wrote:
>
>                 I got snookered a few years back into purchasing a
>                 fakeraid
>                 card (was sold as a real RAID, but it's software RAID).
>
>             There's a quick and infallible way to check.  If the card
>             comes with a
>             big chunk of soldered memory, or better yet a DIMM slot,
>             it's real RAID.
>
>         A bit further OT, any recommendations on a good RAID card for
>         my next build?
>

>     My last upgrade was an LSI 9201-16i and ZFS.  So far, so good...
>     On that note, I've got an old ARC-1230 lying around if you're
>     interested.
>

> Since we are already off topic, does anyone have any recommendations
> for a 4 port SATA card that doesn't need to have RAID, but is still
> high performance? I have a two port card in my server now, (the on
> board mobo only has 2 ports) I'd like to expand it, but I think the
> card I have now is not performing well at all, so I'd like to replace
> it with something that is proven.

Considering the motherboard only has two ports, I'm guessing this is an
old board, and you're looking for PCI cards, in which case a single hard
drive is sufficient to saturate your entire bus.  If that's the case,
you're simply not going to get any performance out of anything, and the
best option is to upgrade to something with more ports and/or
PCI-express slots.