[mythtv-users] Launching VLC from the MythTV Frontend

Jean-Yves Avenard jyavenard at gmail.com
Thu Sep 26 10:04:25 UTC 2013

On 26 September 2013 06:30, Timothy Coughlin <tim at doze.net> wrote:
> Greetings!
>
> I'm running into a problem while trying to launch VLC as a menu option.
> Specifically, I added the following button:
>
> <button>
>        <text>VLC Stream</text>
>        <action>EXEC /usr/bin/vlc http://172.16.64.255:8081 --fullscreen
> --global-key-quit Esc</action>
> </button>
>
> When this didn't work, I wrote a shell script to try and launch it. Then I
> thought that since the Myth Frontend was running under sudo, that I would
> need to impersonate a regular user:

do you see your entry in the menu though?

For example, I have a special entry in the optical dick menu to play a
bluray (one that mount the disk, starts anydvd and then mount
linux->windows and start mythavtest on the path)

it's:
    <button>
        <type>DVD_PLAY</type>
        <text>Play Bluray</text>
        <description>Play a film on Bluray</description>
        <action>EXEC /home/mythtv/scripts/bdplay</action>
    </button>