[mythtv-users] Pixelation/Bad Recordings HDHR Prime -- I am at my wits end

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Wed Sep 25 23:21:59 UTC 2013

On 9/25/2013 4:41 PM, Jon Heizer wrote:
> and network tuners

There's the key factor there. Networked tuners, meaning the tuner is a
little embedded computer sitting on your network somewhere, and feeding
data to you. Networks have unpredictable latency, and so anything
operating over one must be able to handle it. Hardware drivers do not
account for such things, and should not account for such things, but
never the less run into such things when attempting hardware pass
through in a virtual machine. The result is somewhere between unreliable
and completely broken. Driver developers typically want to have no part
of someone attempting to use hardware in a virtual machine.

There are other architectural reasons why the typical user has no reason
to want to use a virtual machine, but that's a topic for another thread.