[mythtv-users] Host 192.168.1.101 is not allowed to connect to this MySQL server

Karl Newman newmank1 at asme.org
Wed Sep 25 14:06:24 UTC 2013

On Tue, Sep 24, 2013 at 11:50 PM, Gabe Rubin <gaberubin at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I am putting mythv on a new install and succesfully transferred my
> database.
>
> When I run mythfrontend, i get a screen where I can select my country and
> language and then it takes me to "Database Configuration 1/2" page where
> one of the settings is Hostname.  When that is set for 192.168.1.101 (the
> IP address of the box) it won't let me connect to the database.  When I
> type in localhost for the Hostname, I can get into mythfrontend, but this
> every time I restart mythfrontend, it reverts to 192.168.1.101.
>
> Where is myth getting that numerical IP from and how do I permanently
> change it to localhost?
>
> Thanks

You need to fix your mysql permissions.
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/MythTV-HOWTO_-_0.26#Modifying_access_to_the_MySQL_database_for_multiple_systemsIt's
a good idea for your database settings to be something other that
"localhost" or 127.0.0.1, because that means your system is prepared for
expansion (multiple frontends and/or backends) should you ever want to do
that (and you don't have to battle with the database later).

Karl