[mythtv-users] Everything works on my rebuilt DVR except the tuner cards. Help?

Jay Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Tue Sep 24 14:59:08 UTC 2013

----- Original Message -----
> From: "Eric Sharkey" <eric at lisaneric.org>

> On Mon, Sep 23, 2013 at 9:07 PM, Pamela J. Ashworth
> <pashwoth at mindspring.com> wrote:
> > They are wintv 250 and 500 running off analog cable as they always
> > have.
> > Only now you just can't what it puts out.
>
> Does the signal look good if you disconnect the cable from one of the
> tuner cards and connect it to a TV directly? If not, you have signal
> strength issues.

The tuners are on 2 ports of a 4 port 5db splitter, where they've always
been (and before the OS and Myth (and mobo :-) upgrades, worked fine);
the TV on the last port (a 2006 Philips) is, yes, getting great signal.
It has a small amount of impulse noise on lower channels, that fades out
by about 14 or so, but the picture and sound are fine (and were always
better on the tuners than the TV anyway; the impulse noise not visible)...

and the OTA HD channels are always pristine; no evidence of packet loss
at all.  On the TV, I mean; the tuners don't pick that up, obviously.

>From the picture we *do* get on the tuners, as noted in my posting on this,
it looks like one of two things: mistuning, or bad tuner selection.  But
I've looked at the tuner card labels (while I was swapping the slots
last night), and dmesg is showing that ivtv is detecting them properly
(pastebin in my posting from yesterday morning).

I can see it's tuning the right channel, but the horizontal sync isn't
locked; while the picture spends *most* of it's time frame-locked
vertically, the horizontal sync bar floats around on the right side
of the picture, and the chroma won't lock.

I've double checked that the default tuning setting is us-cable, and
even tried forcing NTSC in a channel definition, neither helps.  I can
see in the FE log that it's telling the tuner to go to NTSC, too.

Any chance, Eric, that you could take a look at that pastebin and see
if you see anything in the dmesg that looks whacky?  Or is that more
properly a question for the ivtv list people?

Cheers,
-- jra