[mythtv-users] Interest in temporary mythtv repository for Fedora/RHEL?

Richard Shaw hobbes1069 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 24 14:02:02 UTC 2013

On Tue, Sep 24, 2013 at 8:53 AM, John Pilkington <J.Pilk at tesco.net> wrote:

> On 24/09/13 13:59, Richard Shaw wrote:
>
>> Since the RPM Fusion builders are down and I have no idea when they will
>> be repaired, I'm toying with the idea of running a mythtv repository out
>> of my dropbox account. I'll need to make sure it doesn't violate their
>> ToS but I also want to gauge interest from the list.
>>
>> If you are interested, please reply letting me know what Fedora release
>> and arch you're running (Or arch for EL 6)
>>

> This sounds great, although a working rpmfusion would be even better; lack
> of nvidia modules (in my case for 304.88) means that I'm not keeping up
> with kernel updates on my f18/x86_64 main box.  I haven't yet made time to
> prepare for building for that from your SRPM.

Agreed, but I have no visibility into the infrastructure side of RPM Fusion
and it's been strangely quiet. I'm already building F19 and F18 x86_64
packages since that's what I use at home.

My laptop runs SL6/i686 without nvidia, but with non-standard packages from
> other repos, as detailed earlier.  Building from the SRPM Just Works now,
> (tempting fate), taking around an hour.

Let me know, I can build repo packages for EL6 unless you just want to
build your own.

> My earlier query about using your SRPM or a git pull was really intended
> to clarify the update process, since, IIRC, you use a tarball and a git
> diff as well as repo-specific tweaks;  I wondered how easy it would be to
> replace the tarball-and-diff with a straight git pull; I guess that would
> be the preferred route in the absence of an existing route-that-works.

Either way would work but from a guidelines point of view the the
preference is for using an "official" release and patching it. Of course
mythtv is the only package I maintain that uses a fixes branch so it's
kinda in the gray area anyhow, but it does keep me from having to keep
re-uploading the whole source to infra every time I push an update. Since
just the patch changes that's a good enough reason for me to keep it that
way :)

Thanks,
Richard