[mythtv-users] 1/2 OT: MySQL with more than one tmpdir

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Tue Sep 24 13:49:56 UTC 2013

Raymond Wagner wrote:
>Temporary tables are only flushed to disk when they exceed the
>configured in-memory limit of the MySQL server. Rather than creating
>temporary storage out of memory, why not just let MySQL use more memory
>directly?
>
>http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.6/en/server-system-variables.html#sysvar_tmp_table_size

Brilliant !
Just the pointer I needed when I was asking about database tuning earlier this month. Now I've done away with the tmpfs I'd created for MySQL to use and upped this value (andmax_heap_table_size) to 1/2G and my reschedules happen in about 6-7 seconds. That's fast enough for changes to show in the refreshed web page after a change.
Mind you, I also now have the OS and DB on an SSD (neither big nor fast, just a cheap slow one) which has also helped.