[mythtv-users] Problems with upgrade install

Joseph Fry joe at thefrys.com
Tue Sep 24 01:40:00 UTC 2013

>> 1) Data Direct doesn't seem to be loading properly.
>
> For no particularly apparent reason, this seems to have fixed itself;
> another manual reload of the channels only got it to the point where
> it refreshed the programs table from the commandline, and actually
> got data into the database.  But...
>
>> 2) In LiveTV, channels [still] aren't tuning properly.
>>
>> It's clear that I'm getting the right channel; I can see the programming
>> and the bugs, and such but each and every channel doesn't tune close
>> enough for either audio lock, or sync lock -- they look like the OTA
>> paid/scrambled channels used to back in the late 70s.
>>
>> My last test on this last night was to tune Live, hit R, and then exit
>> and repeat 3 times, on different channels -- and it knows it has 3
>> tuners (cause the fourth one was when I was told all tuners were busy),
>> and each reacts the same way. (The tuners are a WinTV-PVR 250 and a 500
>> dual; older IVTV drivers had trouble with the 500, and we used to only
>> get one working tuner out of it, but as noted, it seems to be working
>> here, for sufficiently small values of "working".)
>>
>> This feels like a tuning problem -- especially since it seems to get
>> worse as I tune up the band; over about 16 I get mostly or entirely
>> mpeg-snow -- but I'm using the us-cable tuning pattern which Bright
>> House Tampa Bay actually says on their website I'm supposed to; they
>> do not use IRC or HRC.
>
> I've physically swapped the cards in the 2 PCI slots, and while that
> didn't fix the problem, oddly, the IVTV drivers are still enumerating
> the -250 first, and then the two tuners of the -500 after; I checked
> the tuner models while I had the cards out, and it's correctly seeing
> the 25532 tuners on the dual, and the 32032 on the single... but it
> can't tune them to the channel reliably.
>
> I did look in YaST, and found that it still knew about the 4 old tuners,
> and had no configuration for the 3 new ones... and deleted the old 4, and
> saw that the new 3 defaulted to PAL / Europe, and switched that to
> NTSC/Cable-US, and then rebooted, but that didn't affect it either.
>
>> and the dmesg data about the tuners on boot here:
>>
>> http://pastebin.com/9amyJsBH
>>
>> lspci looks like this:
>>
>> http://pastebin.com/HsPi30sV
>
> Those predate the card swap; I assume they've reversed, but I haven't
> rerun them yet; this project has chewed up 72 hours of what would
> otherwise be revenue work, and I'm getting sick of looking at it.
>
> Any thoughts, folks?

Pull one card... probably the 250... and get the 500 working first
before introducing the second card.  I remember hearing about issues
years ago using multiple Hauppage tuners of various types... I'm not
sure that this is still the case, or perhaps when you initially set up
this system you had to do something that you don't recall now...
something that was far more common knowledge when everyone was doing
analog.