[mythtv-users] MythTV backend on headless Mac Mini (Lion) Server

Craig Treleaven ctreleaven at cogeco.ca
Sun Sep 22 03:05:10 UTC 2013

At 9:19 PM -0500 9/21/13, Ryan Warner wrote:
>Yeah, I'm also using this server for network accounts, to run
>Profile Manager for remove device management, and I'm running iTunes
>with Home Sharing to serve media to all our iDevices.
>
>Does the macports version work more reliably than the .dmg?

Disclaimer, I worked up the MacPorts Myth packages.

The MacPorts version of Myth is the same code as the .dmg with a few
small patches.  (No plugins via MacPorts, though.)  The difference is
the packaging--MacPorts is intended to support running the backend
without a lot of manual intervention.  There are launchd items to
automatically run the backend (and mythlogserver) at startup.  Logs
go to /opt/local/var/log/mythtv.26 and logrotate is installed and
configured to keep the log files from proliferating like bunnies!
There are some simple Applescript 'helper' apps installed in
/Applications/MacPorts/MythTV that allow you to put an icon on the
Dock start the frontend with one click.

AFAIK, everybody using MacPorts is also installing/running MySQL from
MacPorts (the mysql5-server port).  You _should_ be able to use your
5.6 version but using the MacPorts version works pretty much out of
the box.

Cookbook instructions are at:
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/MacPorts

If you want, you can also install MythWeb:

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/MythWeb_via_MacPorts

Craig