[mythtv-users] MythTV backend on headless Mac Mini (Lion) Server

Stephen P. Villano stephen.p.villano at gmail.com
Sun Sep 22 02:39:52 UTC 2013

On 9/21/13 10:24 PM, Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:
> On 22 September 2013 12:19, Ryan Warner <ryan.warner.mn at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Yeah, I'm also using this server for network accounts, to run Profile Manager for remove device management, and I'm running iTunes with Home Sharing to serve media to all our iDevices.
>>
>> Does the macports version work more reliably than the .dmg?
> you would have the same issue with macports at this stage... only
> issue here is that you get no feedback/logs because you're running the
> bundle app.
>
> Running directly the exe will give you more feedbacks and once you've
> sorted it out (most likely a mysql issue) it will run just fine.
>
> The advantage of using macport at this stage is that you gain the
> perl, php and python bindings, so things like metadata lookup will
> work.
>
> if you're aim is to run a backend, using macport makes more sense IMHO.
>
>> What about running linux in a virtual machine?  I would think it should talk to my HDHomerun just fine.  But I was also hoping to connect it to my Motorola cable box via firewire and capture some content that way.  I have less hope of getting that to work from a VM.
> no need to if you have an hdhomerun... it's when you want to use
> DVB/ATSC cards that linux is the only way to go at present

The last time I looked, macport is still on 0.25. An older version at that.
I haven't tried running the backend on my OS X box, as it's my primary
computer.
I run my backend on an old Dell Precision dual Xeon 1.8GHZ machine.
Management is mostly via ssh shell, with necessary GUI operations via
VNC from my MacBook Pro or PC upstairs.
*All* talk well to my HDHomerun Prime.

I'd not want sql running on a virtual machine, a bit too much overhead.
Maybe the mysql on the server, with the backend on a linux VM might
help. It then is an issue of RAM, CPU/memory load and CPU speed.

I have run the 0.27 frontend (as well as 0.25 and 0.26) on my MacBook
Pro. Performance for video is lacking due to the fact that I'm running
wireless. Running via ethernet was far superior in performance, as I run
full duplex off of my managed switches (all servers are on gigabit to my
managed switch and one dumb gigabit switch).

Getting fixes in a binary form are problematic using macport, as 0.25
isn't getting much in the line of fixes and 0.26 is getting minimal
fixes due to the effort with 0.27.
Thought I saw a 0.27 backend, but I cleaned off excess mythtv install
files from my drive. :/
But, I do think I recall seeing a compiled 0.27 backend.

HTH