[mythtv-users] db upgrade ? please help :)

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Sat Sep 21 06:13:51 UTC 2013

On Fri, 20 Sep 2013 16:28:27 -0700, you wrote:

>Hello All,
>
>   Background:  I was happily running fedora 14 and mythtv .24 -- until my
>boot/OS drive failed.
>
>   I bought a new drive and loaded it up with current Fedora (19) and
>installed mythtv (.26)
>
>   I've been able to recover the mysql db mythconverg (though, i dont have
>good exported backups i'm afraid), and when I attempted to upgrade (.24 ->
>.26) on a copy of mythconverg (i still have the state of the DB at the time
>of the hard drive crash, but i no longer have a place to run fedora 14 or
>myth .24)
>
>mythtv has partially updated DB schemas, but now seem to be stuck here now
>unable to upgrade further:
>Warning: MythTV wants to upgrade your database,
>for the TV schema, from 1271 to 1307.
>

>any suggestions? what are my options at this point? I'd like of course to
>retain my data about episodes recorded etc.. not looking forward to a clean
>slate and re-recording shows i've already watched..
>

>thanks in  advance

The best way to update DB schemas is to use mythtv-setup.  So if you
restore your 0.24 database again, then make sure that you do not run
mythbackend, and instead run mythtv-setup, you should get prompts to
update the schema.  Remember that it will first make a backup of the
database before it upgrades it.  If your database is huge like mine (>
5000 recordings), that can take quite a while and there is no visible
activity on screen for minutes while it happens.  Then the upgrade
prompts will finally appear.