[mythtv-users] Slightly OT - No HDMI sound in mythbuntu 13.04

HP-mini blm-ubunet at slingshot.co.nz
Sat Sep 21 00:17:04 UTC 2013

On Fri, 2013-09-20 at 16:47 -0400, Michael Stucky wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 20, 2013 at 12:39 PM, Michael Stucky <mike at stucky.us>
> wrote:
>
>         On Fri, Sep 20, 2013 at 11:25 AM, Chris Lewis
>         <chrislewis915 at gmail.com> wrote:
>                 Hi
>

>                 I'm running mythbuntu 13004 with myth 0.27
>

>                 I have sound hooked up to my TV using a GT430 HDMI.
>                  The sound in Myth works fine, but i cant for the life
>                 of me get it to work in any other application!
>

>                 I'm trying spotify and VLC and cant make either of
>                 them work
>

>                 Any suggestions?
>

>                 Chris
>
>         Don't know about Ubuntu 13.04 but in 12.04 sound defaults to
>         the computer's speakers. If you have more than one sound
>         source you may need to check System Settings --> Sound -->
>         Output and make sure the correct one is selected.
>

>         -Mike
>
> Did a little searching and my previous answer is much too simplistic.
> Apparently, there are issues with nVidia drivers and HDMI audio on
> several versions after 304, see:
>

> https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topic/539263/ubuntu-12-10-13-04-nvidia-driver-310-and-313-not-hdmi-audio-/

FWIR There are renewed problems with spdif/iec958 with later kernels.
The 8800GT (in the devtalk link OP) does not have hda hdmi audio, it
uses spdif link cable from mobo sound. The first (nVidia) discrete cards
with hda audio were 200 series.

The OP (here) probably just needs to use the system wide audio config in
"pavucontrol".
But it is easy enough to point VLC directly at any audio device (just
like mythtv).