[mythtv-users] mythv 0.27 test packages (future RPM Fusion)

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Fri Sep 20 17:22:04 UTC 2013

On Fri, Sep 20, 2013 at 5:03 PM, Steve Magnani
<user.serviceable at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm well aware of what a pain SELinux is to work with and that it's much
> easier to sidestep it - so I understand a decision not to devote endless
> hours "playing nice" with it.

Well, since Richard is going to do the hard part of reviewing
the mythweb code/package to assure FHS compatibility,
doing just the SELinux part should be easier now.  Maybe
it will get higher in my todo list (unless Richard does that
first too).

> But personally, if I am forced to choose between SELinux and mythweb, I
> will have to choose SELinux. In my setup, mythweb runs on our home
> server that's also our gateway to the Internet, and it's not worth the
> risk (to me) to drop the shields just to achieve FHS compliance for
> mythweb.

There is some interesting discussions going on as to
whether SELinux does what you want it to.  However,
as of now, there is no direct evidence that it does the
reverse.  You could always move to FreeBSD for an
arguably better security environment for your gateway.
Try FreeBSD, you will like it (and the MythTV BE can
run on it, with some obvious limitations).

> Steven J. Magnani               "I claim this network for MARS!
> www.digidescorp.com              Earthling, return my space modulator!"

I believe that should be "return my illudium Q-36 explosive
space modulator" :-)  And yes, my first exposure to classical
music *was* via Saturday morning looney tunes...

Gary