[mythtv-users] High end, state of the art Myth Frontend

Joseph Fry joe at thefrys.com
Wed Sep 18 22:21:28 UTC 2013

>> Correction, ATSC A/72 was introduced in 2008 to add h264 and 1080p.
>> It is part of the ATSC standard, but has not been adopted by the FCC,
>> who only adopted A/53 (If I understand it correctly).  So I suppose
>> that in theory, any television that claims to be ATSC compliant would
>> need to have support for h264 and 1080p, but broadcasters are not yet
>> allow to transmit in that format.
>

> It was my understanding the use of H264 was only defined for ATSC M/H
> (mobile and handheld), and never intended for general broadcasts.

I'm not exactly sure how the standard works.  I know that they they
added A/72 to the ATSC standard, rather than calling it a new standard
(ATSCv2).  However perhaps when a television says ATSC compatible, its
really just saying its A/53 complaint?  I don't know.

But I do know that the US FCC has not adopted A/72... and uses A/53 as
the standard for broadcast television.  I suppose they could adopt
A/72 if they chose, but I suspect that it would be too costly?