[mythtv-users] High end, state of the art Myth Frontend

Jeff Siddall news at siddall.name
Wed Sep 18 19:36:10 UTC 2013

On 09/18/2013 03:30 PM, Eric Sharkey wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 18, 2013 at 3:23 PM, Jeff Siddall <news at siddall.name> wrote:
>> I can only imagine highly compressed 1080p would look horrible, which again
>> makes me wonder why people are so quick to bash 1080i.
>
> But conceptually, 1080i is nothing but compressed 1080p.  The
> compression algorithm is "throw out half the pixels".  You honestly
> believe that there's no better algorithm than that?

Conceptually I agree with you, it's all various methods of lowering
bitrate.  But at a given bitrate I am becoming more convinced that
interlacing is a good tradeoff.  The loss of resolution with 720 is
irreversible whereas deinterlacing done well can result in a very
watchable, and potentially much sharper, image.

Jeff