[mythtv-users] Fwd: Pixelation/Bad Recordings HDHR Prime -- I am at my wits end

Captain Hook captainhookzero at gmail.com
Thu Sep 12 19:41:10 UTC 2013

On Thu, Sep 12, 2013 at 12:59 PM, Joseph Fry <joe at thefrys.com> wrote:

>>> You can also use HDHomerun commands to record and save the live streams
>>> (that play ok in VLC), and then play them direct from disc, which might be a
>>> quick useful test of disc I/O.  Their manual is likely to be found on their
>>> server.
>>>
>>> Can also save from mythweb to disc, and play using VLC for a 2nd view. Even
>>> play these files on another machine?

>> My backend is running as a VM, so I can view it through the console,
>> but I don't have any sound.  The easiest and most prevalent signs of
>> this issue are with the audio, so I don't think using VLC on it will
>> work very well.
>
> Good point.
>
>> My file system is already EXT4 and I didn't use any special formatting
>> that I am aware of, I just installed MythBuntu and let it do the rest.
>
> If you installed a recent OS, then most likely it aligned your sectors
> properly... though if your using a virtual disk, I can't be sure that
> ESX did.
>
>> I only have one SATA controller and I do not know of a way to allow
>> the VM to access it directly (unless it is a SAN, which it isn't).
>> The SCSI controller is showing up as "LSI Logic Parallel" and it did
>> this automatically.
>
> Typically you can pass some devices through to a VM, meaning the host
> doesn't access the device itself, or virtualize it for the VM....
> instead the VM uses the device directly using the actual device
> drivers.  I know you can do this with some devices, as folks have used
> it in the past to access PCIe tuners... again I have never used ESX,
> so I don't know how it's done.  If you only have one SATA controller,
> then it's not likely to be any help to you anyway.
>
> A quick bit of research says that ESX calls these RDM (raw device
> mappings), and this thread says it can be done with a sata disk:
> http://www.vm-help.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1025.  Once set up,
> ESX would essentially ignore your recording drives, instead, the
> entire physical disk would be assigned to the VM to be partitioned,
> formatted, etc.  In other words, it would not be virtualized.
>
>> I am not using RAID at all as ESXi does not recognize "fake
>> raid"/software RAID built into the motherboard, from what I gather.
>
> I wouldn't think that it would... and RAID is great but would add
> another layer of complexity, so it's good that your not using it.
>
>> Regarding "dynamic virtual disks" I assume you are asking if they are
>> thin or thick provisioned?  They are thick provisioned.
>
> I don't use ESX, but with many VM's I have used int he past, you can
> create "virtual" disks, or assign a physical disk to the system.  A
> virtual disk appears as a disk to the VM, but in reality is is one or
> more files on the host's filesystem that are either a fixed size
> (thick) or allowed to grow dynamically to some set maximum (thin).  I
> would attach a physical disk to the backend VM if possible rather than
> creating a virtual disk.

> [...]

I know you can use RDM devices, but it doesn't seem to easily allow me
to do this with onboard storage.  There are options for iSCSI/SAN
devices, but I see in the link it may be possible, although it seems
unclear if they've actually added an add-in controller card or not.

I am using virtual disks, yes.  They are added through vSphere which
then carves up the physical disk and creates VMDKs presented to my
VMs.

I've run a few benchmarks against these disks in the VMs and I don't
really see much in the way of poor performance.  It is my
understanding that recordings really don't take much in the way of
performance and you can easily use even 5400 RPM drives with multiple
simultaneous recordings.  My recordings thus far have almost
exclusively been one at a time.

I am using ESXi because I am very familiar with it and like to run
multiple OSes and use it's capabilities (snapshots, migrating data,
etc.).  I built a fairly decent performing server hoping to be able to
utilize one box for everything.  I am using Windows Server because I
run an MS shop in the day time and wanted a domain at home.

I will consider running Ubuntu on the box and then using another
virtualization method, but I'd really like to avoid that if possible.