[mythtv-users] Help with Conversion from Mac OS X to Mythbuntu

Jamie Midgley jamie.midgley at gmail.com
Thu Sep 12 19:35:52 UTC 2013

I am curious as to the process of switching my current .25 fixes running
under OS X via macports to Mythbuntu.  As background, prior to purchasing
the late 2012 mac mini I had never used the command line for anything.
 After several attempts to install mythtv over a several month period I
finally succeeded and have had a stable system for the past 4 months. In
fact it has been more trouble free than just about any software I have
used.  It required hours upon hours of google searches to finally work out
the kinks and get user job scripts to work correctly but now I would like
access to myth plugins, the ability to keep up and try new releases, usage
of HD Audio tracks and a desire to absolve myself from Windows and OS X
entrapment.

I currently have 3 external hard drives all formatted in Mac OS extended
journaled.  1tb Seagate backup portable, partitioned to be 500gb as Time
Machine Backup and 500gb as a myth recording volume, 2tb Seagate desktop
with 500gb partitioned for myth and remainder for my movie collection and
long term storage and finally a 3tb Seagate desktop also with 500gb
partitioned for myth with the rest dedicated to movies and long term
storage.  It seems I will need to reformat all drives if I want linux to
have read and write access?

What is the current format suggested?  ExFat, Ext3 or other?  The wiki
seemed a little dated but I could be wrong.

Is there a way to save my recordings and movies without spending more money
on hard drives or spending hours archiving media again?

I plan on using reFind to dual boot although I wouldn't mind eliminating OS
X in it's entirety and just starting from scratch.  Is this possible or
feasible?

Lastly, are there any gotchas with the mythbuntu install? Does it work out
of the box once mythtv setup is properly configured?

I am using a Silicon Dust HDHR Dual for OTA broadcasts.

I apologize for the long post but my previous effort to install myth
literally took me months with many late nights and my wife was not too
happy for the amount of time I spent on it.  I just would like to move past
.25 to .27 and figured going to linux would enable easier transitions in
the future.

Jamie