[mythtv-users] Partition resizing gone wrong - All storage groups gone (on the same partition)

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Thu Sep 12 18:09:35 UTC 2013

On 12/09/13 18:45, Sebastian Niehaus wrote:
> Am 12.09.2013 19:37, schrieb Stephen Worthington:
>> On Wed, 11 Sep 2013 14:20:24 -0400, you wrote:
>
>>> Stupidly, I resized my partitions today with a third party tool that had
>>> previously worked before.
>
>> Resizing partitions with data in them is always hazardous - if you
>> value the data, you need to back it up first.  Which is always a
>> problem with recordings, as they are usually huge files and need a
>> huge drive to backup to.
>>
>> What I would recommend is when creating a recording partition, use a
>> separate drive and set the partition to use the entire drive, or at
>> least all remaining space on the drive.  And then never resize it.
>
> I use lvm, all partitions are on a volume group. Extending a volume
> group and resizing the ext3 partitions went always smoothly (online,
> without need to unmount them).
>
> Very cool feature, I would recommend it (but backup is recommended even
> more ...). PV are two RAID arrays, 4 hard disk drives need some space
> however ...

I use LVMs on my xen server but I would never use them for storing recordings,
as you have absolutely no idea what else is using the spindle(s) while you are
recording.

There have been enough recommendations on this list to place your OS/database
and your recording directories on separate drive(s) and using VMs makes a
nonsense of that. You are just asking for I/O conflicts.

--

Mike Perkins