[mythtv-users] No More Free DTAs From Comcast

Romain Kang romain at kzsu.stanford.edu
Wed Sep 11 19:13:19 UTC 2013

On Tue, Sep 10, 2013 at 04:51:25PM -0700, Kirk Bocek wrote:
> >Note that there may be another opportunity for "free" DTAs
> >in a few months (HD-DTAs in this case), as Comcast starts
> >to encrypt basic cable (the B1 tier) in the SF Bay Area(*).  As
> >part of the waiver agreement with the FCC, Comcast promised
> >free HD-DTAs for two years (as long as you ask during the
> >change over), with the price after that also depending on market
> >conditions.  So, when you get your notification, decide if you
> >want one/two of those new(er) HD-DTAs "just in case".
> >

> Is this confirmed? Are there finally going to be "HD-DTAs" and not
> just the choice between the full-blow cable boxes or these really
> minimal, analog-only DTAs? It sure can't cost that much to add an
> HDMI port to something simple along the lines of one of these little
> boxes.

My most recent Comcast bill says my limited basic goes encrypted on
October 13, 2013 (Sunnyvale, CA).  So a few weekends ago, I finally
activated the DTA and HDHR Prime, which turned out to be relatively
painless phone calls.  For the Prime, I needed to speak to a tech to
relay some info from the Prime's web pages.

Looking at the crummy SD analog output from the DTA, I doubt I'll use
it except as a backup.  If I'm not recording programs in MythTV, the
Blu-Ray player plays real time HD video from the Prime.

My guess is that it's probably not worthwhile to move the old HDHR Dual
to OTA unless I can get an external antenna set up.  Any pointers on
that?

Cheers,
Romain Kang                             Disclaimer: I speak for myself alone,
romain at kzsu.stanford.edu                except when indicated otherwise.