[mythtv-users] Partition resizing gone wrong - All storage groups gone (on the same partition)

Jerry mythtv at hambone.e4ward.com
Wed Sep 11 18:20:24 UTC 2013

Stupidly, I resized my partitions today with a third party tool that had
previously worked before.  When I was done, I rebooted and dropped into
maintenance mode (lovely).  After letting fsck.ext4 spit out numbers for
two hours on my terminal, I knew that things were probably bad, and that I
didn't value the recordings that much anyway, since I view them and delete
them.  I decided to put the partition down like Old Yeller.

So, now I'm back up, and I ran find_orphans.py, and I have an empty set in
mythconverg.recorded (sniff).  There seem to be ghosts in other places.
I'm not a database tinkerer when I don't know the schema.  Is the system
good to go?  I have this morning's database backup just in case I need it.
Recordings are scheduled as early as this evening.

I'm not sure if I'm reading this correctly, but it looks like those old
recordings were rescheduled from reading the mythbackend log.  Is this what
happens when one runs find_orphans.py?

What should I look at to make sure I'm out of the woods?

In the future, in case I decide to do something like this again, would
gparted work on a more reliable basis?  I'm kicking myself that I didn't
try that first.  I did a backup of my system partitions yesterday, so I
wasn't worried about that, but I don't normally back up the media since I'm
one of those watch it and get rid of it people, and I don't want to wait
for all those gigabytes to back up :)

Thanks!
Jerry