[mythtv-users] the right way to force preference of a channel

Brian J. Murrell brian at interlinx.bc.ca
Mon Sep 9 15:24:18 UTC 2013

On 13-09-09 07:48 AM, Michael T. Dean wrote:

>  and set channel priority (assuming you want this
> priority for all shows, not just Sunday-night shows).

Sure.  I have no affinity for CBS and given their antics, would prefer
to just avoid watching that channel whenever I can.  If they want my
patronage back, they can smarten up.

> In 0.27, input
> and channel priorities work the way people thought it worked.

(Just to refresh my memory) Is that to mean that prior to 0.27 adjusting
the priority of a channel could mean that a program would not actually
record if another program was on at the same time on a
not-lower-priority channel?  That is, channel priority affected the
overall score of a candidate recording?

Whereas in 0.27, channel priority doesn't factor into what to record,
only on which channel to record something on once the schedule of
programs to record has been calculated?

> If you want it just for the Sunday shows, you'll have to modify
> individual recording rules to use something like the "this channel"
> filter or create custom rules to exclude CBS.  Alternatively, create a
> "not CBS" rule (as mentioned before) and then find an episode of the
> show airing on CBS and create a new rule for it with a lower priority.
> That way, MythTV will attempt to record on the other channel(s), but if
> that's not possible, it will fall back to recording on CBS.  If you make
> the CBS rule a "this channel" rule, you can even specify an approriate
> (or excessive?) end late value.

Seem a whole lot more complicated than just having an "I don't watch CBS
(when I can help it)" rule/channel priority.  :-)

Cheers,
b.