[mythtv-users] (off topic a bit) 2 input HDHomeRun vs 1 input HDHomeRun Dual

Joseph Fry joe at thefrys.com
Mon Sep 9 06:00:42 UTC 2013

>>> Does anyone know if Silicon Dust upgraded the tuner when the switched from
>>> the 2 input model to the single input dual?
>>> I was watching the Americas cup today, and noticed that while my
>>> Centronics ZAT 502HD was able to tune NBC with no dropouts, the
>>> HDHomeRun was getting zero signal quality tuned to the same station
>>> connected to the same antenna with the same signal strength.
>>> Even though I have a direct line of site to the transmitter, it is over
>>> San Francisco bay, and on hot days the signal spectrum
>>> gets badly distorted (exactly like multi-path).
>>> I'm wondering if it would be worth it to upgrade my old HDHomeRun tuners.
>>> Do the new ones handle multi-path any better?
>>

>> This can also be a sign of the power supply (wall wart) going out.  My Gen 1
>> HDHR started acting up with tuning problems and greatly fluctuating signal
>> and quality.  I pulled opened up the wall adapter and found several swelling
>> capacitors.  I swapped them out and it's been fine ever since.
>
> Or, even easier, just contact Silicon Dust... they issued replacement
> wall warts for the Gen 1 due to known issues.  And I had the exact
> same issue with strong signal, but no quality.  I think as it goes bad
> it has a problem with powerline noise, or something, and perhaps you
> see the problem on hot days due to air conditioners causing noise on
> the power lines, or something like that.
>
> Either way, I would contact SiliconDust and see if they are still
> offering replacements... it may fix your problem... it may not.

Oh... they used to have a page dedicated to ordering replacements...
the page is gone but I found the text from it at another site:

[quote]
SiliconDust is offering replacements for the SW20-S050-15 power adapter shown.

A failing power adapter may result in one or more of the following symptoms:

Flashing power light on the HDHomeRun or failure to power on.
Flashing red light on power adapter.
Zero signal-to-noise quality (snq) on all channels.

If your HDHomeRun included this power adapter please see this page for
a replacement power adapter.
[/quote]

just submit a trouble ticket: http://www.silicondust.com/support/troubletickets/