[mythtv-users] clearing out old, non-existent videos

lists.md301 lists.md301 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 4 17:54:11 UTC 2013

On Wed, Sep 4, 2013 at 10:31 AM, Raymond Wagner <raymond at wagnerrp.com>wrote:

> On Sep 4, 2013, at 10:16, "Michael T. Dean" <mtdean at thirdcontact.com>
> wrote:
>
> > On 09/04/2013 09:13 AM, Raymond Wagner wrote:

> videos
> sure?' protection, do this?  It would be much simpler.
> Library videos in the database will always remain in the database and the
> only way to remove them is to let that host say, "I don't have any videos,
> anymore."
> >> If a video cannot be found during a scan, and the host it is thought to
> be on took part in the scan, it and all associated metadata will be wiped
> from the database.
> >
> > So if the host doesn't exist, anymore (and, therefore, didn't take part
> in the scan), the video will remain in the library, right?
>
> Correct.  If the system running the scan cannot query the system holding
> the files, it plays it safe and does nothing.  In order to remove it
> otherwise, you either must remove each video from the library individually,
> or perform a successful scan...

I've been wondering about how the Video Library would behave in such a case
for a while now.  Specifically, if I had a slave backend (or rather
whatever the alternate module is called  on can play content without a
capture card) on a NAS, that had some infrequently accessed videos.  I
wasn't sure if I'd lose metadata entries for 'absent' video files if the
NAS machine was off on a rescan.  If I understand you correctly, those
entries would NOT be deleted, unless the NAS on up (with the myth daemon
running) and the video files were missing from the slave's valid storage
group.

I may modify my setup to start doing this.  I'm pretty much maxed out in
physical disk space (bays and SATA slots) and this would an elegent way of
handling it.