[mythtv-users] clearing out old, non-existent videos

Andre Newman mythtv-list at dinkum.org.uk
Wed Sep 4 14:45:46 UTC 2013

On 4 Sep 2013, at 16:20, Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:

> On 09/04/2013 10:02 AM, John Pilkington wrote:

>>> If a video cannot be found during a scan, and the host it is thought to be on took part in the scan, it and all associated metadata will be wiped from the database.
>>

>> OK, so a new scan would restore only Videos with files that are 'hashable' but their metadata would have been lost.  Not Good.
>
> No metadata will be lost if the file was properly hashed on the old host and simply moved to a new host.  The only change would be a change to the host name associated with the video.
>

>> Perhaps
>>
>> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Backend_migration#Retiring_an_old_backend
>>
>> ought to suggest scanning an empty Video folder on any host that's about to be retired?
>
> Yeah, I had considered adding something, but because we don't have a good way for the "no longer have access to the old host" side of it, I wanted to spend more time thinking before adding it (or, better, add a means for users to get rid of stuff interactively in the UI).
>
> I'm not sure whether you could do so with the Video Manager (or whatever it's called) view, and if so, whether it would require

> individually finding and deleting videos.  I think I half remember someone saying that it refuses to delete the videos because the host can't be contacted/the video on that host can't be found.

Yes, someone did, that was me.

There's no way to delete the problem video from the myth UI, there's no "video can't be found delete anyway" message like there is when deleting a recording where the file has gone missing.

I had to spoof the long gone host (with another backend and config.xml) and it's SG, then I could re-scan and the error message was gone.

Andre