[mythtv-users] clearing out old, non-existent videos

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed Sep 4 13:04:10 UTC 2013

On 09/04/2013 05:30 AM, John Pilkington wrote:
> Arising from this thread:
>
> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/dev/551029#551029
>
> >> On 30/08/13 13:34, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>
>> We don't really have a good way of clearing out old, non-existent videos
>> from old, non-existent hosts in Video Library at this point.
>
> Wouldn't a 'Clear all hashes from the Video List', with 'Are you
> sure?' protection, do this?  It would be much simpler.

AIUI, in the case of a "missing" (no-longer-existent) host, any Video
Library videos in the database will always remain in the database and
the only way to remove them is to let that host say, "I don't have any
videos, anymore."

However, because the scanner "updates" the location of videos properly
when a hash exists for the video, having the hashes for the videos in
the database will allow you to "move" the video from one host to the
other--when the scanner sees a video with the same hash on another host,
it will update the host so that the old/non-existent host is no longer
associated with the video.  Therefore, any videos you still have on some
other host that have been properly hashed by new-enough Video Library
code will not show up as associated with the old host after a new scan.
So, really, clearing the hashes would not help (and would actually
hinder the process for those who simply moved hashed videos from one
host to another).

I don't think the approach you mentioned removes any of the videos, but
just the hashes for the videos.  If that's not the case, then it may
actually help.

Mike