[mythtv-users] HVR 1800 analog configuration

Mike McMullin mwmcmlln at MNSi.net
Wed Sep 4 04:32:31 UTC 2013

On Tue, 2013-09-03 at 14:51 +1200, Robin Gilks wrote:
> > On Mon, Sep 2, 2013 at 12:41 PM, Mike McMullin <mwmcmlln at mnsi.net> wrote:
> >
> >> I'm seeing this in my front end log:
> >> Sep  2 15:26:31 front-main mythfrontend[4842]: E CoreContext
> >> livetvchain.cpp:277 (GetEntryAt) It appears that your backend may be
> >> misconfigured.  Check your backend logs to determine whether your
> >> capture cards, lineups, channels, or storage configuration are reporting
> >> errors.  This issue is commonly caused by failing to complete all setup
> >> steps properly.  You may wish to review the documentation for
> >> mythtv-setup.
> >>
> >> This is kind of an overreaching error message which really means
> >> something
> > went wrong during Live TV - either starting it or changing channels or
> > switching between programs.
> >
> > Live TV has always been a bit delicate, so for the purpose of initial
> > setup
> > and debugging of a MythTV system, I would stick with playing back
> > scheduled
> > recordings (possibly in-progress recordings).
>
> In progress recordings from an IVTV analog card (which I'm sure the
> HVR1800 appears as) are very flakey as well - more so than LiveTV in fact
> - bug numbers #11778 #11779

  I'll respond to both of you at once, Robin is correct, this was logged
just after LiveTV failed, I've seen error messages channel changes
during recordings:

Sep  2 22:00:02 front-main mythbackend[1902]: E TVRecEvent
v4lchannel.cpp:786 (SwitchToInput) V4LChannel(/dev/video0):
SetInputAndFormat() failed
Sep  2 22:00:02 front-main mythbackend[1902]: E TVRecEvent
tv_rec.cpp:3681 (TuningFrequency) TVRec(2): Failed to set channel to 8.
Reverting to kState_None
Sep  2 22:00:02 front-main mythbackend[1902]: I TVRecEvent
tv_rec.cpp:1029 (HandleStateChange) TVRec(2): Changing from
RecordingOnly to None
Sep  2 22:00:02 front-main mythbackend[1902]: I CoreContext
scheduler.cpp:637 (UpdateRecStatus) Updating status for Castle:"The Fast
and the Furriest" on cardid 2 (Will Record => Recorder Failed)

So now I'm wondering if the driver isn't actually handling the analog
side of the card.  I've had this card actually record only once and that
was with a misconfigured IVTV driver for the kernel.  I dropped that
driver because it's not the correct one for the card, and for some
reason 12.04LTS doesn't properly recognize my PVR-150, which prompted
the purchase of the HVR-1800.