[mythtv-users] mythfrontend with radeon driver

Dave Ulrick d-ulrick at comcast.net
Tue Sep 3 23:31:57 UTC 2013

On Wed, 4 Sep 2013, HP-mini wrote:
> No shader de-interlacing or scaling via VDPAU..
> Unlike windows platform, I don't think non-VDPAU post-processing is
> supported after VDPAU decode. So I don't know why VDPAU quality makes
> any difference.
>
> Your frontend logs with -v playback could explain..but don't bother
> unless you are curious to know...

I've just taken another look at VDPAU Normal vs. VDPAU High Quality. As
you predict, there's no visible difference between them. This discussion
backs up your comments:

http://phoronix.com/forums/showthread.php?79449-AMD-Releases-Open-Source-UVD-Video-Support/page27

On the other hand, _something_ is definitely different CPU-wise between
High Quality and either VDPAU profile. Non-VDPAU CPU during playback of a
480i recording is 48% vs. 6% VDPAU CPU. The log created by the '-v
playback' argument suggests that VDPAU is handling deinterlacing but not
HQ scaling:

I  VideoOutput: Allowed renderers: vdpau
I  VideoOutput: Allowed renderers (filt: vdpau): vdpau
I  VDP: Accepting: cmp(> 0 0) dec(vdpau) cpus(1) skiploop(enabled)
rend(vdpau) osd(vdpau) osdfade(enabled)
deint(vdpauadvanceddoublerate,vdpauadvanced) filt(vdpaucolorspace=auto)
I  VideoOutput: Preferred renderer: vdpau
I  VideoOutput: Trying video renderer: 'vdpau'
I  VDP: Accepting: cmp(> 0 0) dec(vdpau) cpus(1) skiploop(enabled)
rend(vdpau) osd(vdpau) osdfade(enabled)
deint(vdpauadvanceddoublerate,vdpauadvanced) filt(vdpaucolorspace=auto)
I  VDP: SetVideoRenderer(vdpau)
I  VDP: SetVideoRender(vdpau) == GetVideoRenderer()
E  VDPAU: Error at mythrender_vdpau.cpp:1388 (#3, An invalid handle value
was provided. Either the handle does not exist at all, or refers to an
object of an incorrect type.)
E  VDPAU: Error at mythrender_vdpau.cpp:1388 (#3, An invalid handle value
was provided. Either the handle does not exist at all, or refers to an
object of an incorrect type.)
I  VDPAU: Created 2 output surfaces.
I  VDPAU: Set colorkey to 0x20202
I  VDPAU: Version 1
I  VDPAU: Information G3DVL VDPAU Driver Shared Library version 1.0
I  VDPAU: HQ Scaling not supported.
I  VDPAU: MPEG4 hardware acceleration supported.
I  VDPAU: Created VDPAU render device 1920x1080
I  VidOutVDPAU: Created VDPAU osd (1920x1080)
E  VDPAU: Error at mythrender_vdpau.cpp:850 (#4, An invalid pointer was
provided. Typically, this means that a NULL pointer was provided for an
'output' parameter.)
W  VDPAU: WARNING: Failed to enable video mixer features.
I  VidOutVDPAU: Using ITU BT.601 colorspace
I  VidOutVDPAU: Created VDPAU context (GPU decode)
I  VDP: GetFilteredDeint() : vdpau -> 'vdpauadvanceddoublerate'
I  VidOutVDPAU: Enabled deinterlacing.

Apparently VDPAU on radeon is a promising work in progress. CPU savings
are already noticable but there's still work to be done insofar as
HQ scaling, etc., is concerned.

Dave
--
Dave Ulrick