[mythtv-users] mythfrontend with radeon driver

HP-mini blm-ubunet at slingshot.co.nz
Tue Sep 3 20:41:28 UTC 2013

On Tue, 2013-09-03 at 10:39 -0500, Dave Ulrick wrote:
> Update:
>
> I've watched several recordings with mythfrontend configured to use the
> VDPAU High Quality playback profile. The video looked just as good as what
> I'd been seeing with the High Quality profile and audio sync seemed good.
> The only difference I noticed between VDPAU and non-VDPAU is that
> mythfrontend's CPU utilization with VDPAU was just 25% of what it was
> without VDPAU. It looks to me like VDPAU is working very well with this
> configuration:
>
> Linux kernel 3.10
> Xorg 1.14.2
> Mesa 9.2
> radeon video driver
>
> Dave

The quality difference (with VDPAU) is related to the shader performance
of the video card (not the decoder).
So the "quality" capability is model dependent for nVidia & AMD.
It is possible that quality high normal & low are the same because the
shader code is not fully implemented.

The shader code is the biggest challenge for any of the FOSS drivers.
It is possible the AMD card firmware is still being used.

Which AMD video card model?

There are possible VDPAU metrics with "qvdpautest" & de-interlacing
torture test-video on avsforums (cheeseslices).