[mythtv-users] Hauppauge grey remote with homemade serial IR receiver in MythTV 0.26 and Fedora 19

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Tue Sep 3 01:17:48 UTC 2013

On Mon, 02 Sep 2013 16:28:46 -0700, you wrote:

>On 9/1/2013 3:55 PM, Stephen Worthington wrote:

>>> Could we please get back on-topic? I am using a serial homemade
>>> receiver, not an MCE receiver, and I am using Fedora 19, not Ubuntu.
>>> So all this stuff about hardware.conf and so forth does not apply to
>>> my problem. And does Fedora even use ir-keytables?
>>>
>>> I have installed LIRC, but  I just tried running "ls -la /dev/lirc*"
>>> and there were no such files. So I'm not even getting to first base.
>>
>> Yes, Fedora too has had the IR drivers move into the kernel, so it
>> will be using ir-keytable (or some equivalent software).
>>
>> So what driver does your IR receiver use?  Can you see it loading in
>> the log files?  In Mythbuntu, that would be in dmesg or kern.log, but
>> I have no idea how Fedora does its log files these days.
>>
>>  You mentioned doing:
>>
>>    modprobe lirc_serial
>>
>> When you do that, if lirc_serial is the driver, then you should see
>> new lines in the log files saying what device the lirc_serial driver
>> created.
>>
>> Or if lirc_serial is loading already at boot time, the log lines from
>> it may be hard to find, so if your IR receiver is a USB one, just
>> unplug it and plug it in again to get it to log what it does again. If
>> it is not a USB device, you can get the same effect by unloading and
>> reloading the driver:
>>
>>   modprobe -r lirc_serial
>>   modprobe lirc_serial
>
>Here is my output:
>
>---
>[root at localhost ~]# dmesg | grep lirc
>[root at localhost ~]# modprobe lirc_serial
>[root at localhost ~]# dmesg | grep lirc
>[  257.347777] lirc_dev: IR Remote Control driver registered, major 248
>[  257.379360] lirc_serial: module is from the staging directory, the
>quality is unknown, you have been warned.
>[  257.380159] lirc_serial lirc_serial.0: port 03f8 already in use
>[  257.380167] lirc_serial lirc_serial.0: use 'setserial /dev/ttySX uart
>none'
>[  257.380172] lirc_serial lirc_serial.0: or compile the serial port
>driver as module and
>[  257.380177] lirc_serial lirc_serial.0: make sure this module is
>loaded first
>[  257.380196] lirc_serial: probe of lirc_serial.0 failed with error -16
>[  257.381092] platform lirc_serial.0: lirc_dev: driver lirc_serial
>registered at minor = 0
>[root at localhost ~]# setserial /dev/ttyS0 uart none
>bash: setserial: command not found...
>[root at localhost ~]# ir-keytables
>bash: ir-keytables: command not found...
>---
>
>Bob Shanteau

The lirc_serial part of that is fairly clear - the default serial port
is already in use, possibly by the kernel as a TTY port.  How many
serial ports does your motherboard have?  Which one is the IR receiver
connected to?

It looks like setserial is not installed by default on Fedora, so you
could try:

  yum install setserial
  setserial /dev/ttyS0 uart none
  modprobe lirc_serial

All three commands will likely need to be run from root or as sudo.

But the lirc_dev line is very interesting - it seems to be saying that
an IR device has been seen by lirc.  So please try that again, and
post all the dmesg output that happens after the modprobe lirc_serial
command, not just anything that matches "grep lirc".  This is what I
get in dmesg around the time I get a similar message:

[    9.021740] IR JVC protocol handler initialized
[    9.026019] TeVii S470 MAC= 00:18:bd:5b:25:5c
[    9.026024] cx23885_dev_checkrevision() Hardware revision = 0xb0
[    9.026028] cx23885[0]/0: found at 0000:06:00.0, rev: 2, irq: 48,
latency: 0, mmio: 0xfe200000
[    9.026034] cx23885 0000:06:00.0: setting latency timer to 64
[    9.052580] IR Sony protocol handler initialized
[    9.067531] input: MCE IR Keyboard/Mouse (mceusb) as
/devices/virtual/input/input14
[    9.067603] IR MCE Keyboard/mouse protocol handler initialized
[    9.080547] lirc_dev: IR Remote Control driver registered, major
248
[    9.194419] Bridge firewalling registered
[    9.195628] device eth0 entered promiscuous mode
[    9.225526] rc rc0: lirc_dev: driver ir-lirc-codec (mceusb)
registered at minor = 0
[    9.225529] IR LIRC bridge handler initialized

and as you can see there are other IR relevant lines as well as
irrelevant ones.

And as the lirc_dev line is saying the device was registered as "major
248", please do this which should show which device was registered:

  ls -al /dev | grep 248

My output for this is:

  crw-------   1 root root    248,   0 Aug 28 13:47 lirc0