[mythtv-users] All clear QAMs gone in Portland, OR

Stephen P. Villano stephen.p.villano at gmail.com
Thu Oct 31 03:25:11 UTC 2013

On 10/30/13 11:16 PM, Eric Sharkey wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 30, 2013 at 10:26 PM, John Morris <jmorris at beau.org> wrote:
>> On Tue, 2013-10-29 at 20:20 -0400, Eric Sharkey wrote:
>> Imagine if I could have called them the
>> next day and said stop billing me for those channels you just blocked me
>> from viewing.
> Our numbers are simply not large enough to matter.
>

>> There are also channels you are currently paying for that you probably
>> HATE the idea of being forced to pay for.  How much would it be worth to
>> know you ain't subsidizing em anymore?
> Why stop there?  There are channels I get where I watch only a tiny
> fraction of the content on that channel.  Why shouldn't I equally HATE
> the idea of buying an entire channel and being forced to subsidize all
> these programs I never watch?  Wouldn't it be better to turn the whole
> of everything into one giant pay-per-view experience?  That's the only
> way I'll only be paying for what I'm actually watching.
>
> Sorry, no, bundling is the right way to go.
>
> I don't watch the golf channel, but when my father-in-law visits, it's
> there if he wants it, and I like it that way.  I really don't think
> people who push for a la carte have really thought through all of the
> implications of the economics of this.
>
> Eric

I go for a more fundamental level. Screw me, screw you, I won't do
business with you. If I run out of you, I'm far the better, in the world
of providers.
As long as I have an antenna that works, I'm somewhat OK.
That is economic pressure. Then, one educates the consumer.

When one considers the multi-media giants and some political agendas,
then considers consumer agenda issues, the consumer agenda can, properly
pressed, force the issue before the organism can react.
It's worked before, it can work again.

It's worked rather well in my area.