[mythtv-users] rpmfusion.org build of mythfrontend requires >2G just to start?

Richard Shaw hobbes1069 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 30 16:31:31 UTC 2013

On Wed, Oct 30, 2013 at 11:27 AM, Brian J. Murrell <brian at interlinx.bc.ca>wrote:

> On 10/30/2013 12:00 PM, Richard Shaw wrote:
> > I have been running (and now maintain) the RPM Fusion Mythtv package
> since
> > 0.24 and I've never run into this... Typically here would be the correct
> > place to ask such a question but perhaps in this case it would be better
> > asked on the mythtv mailing list which has the required knowledge base...
>
> This is the mythtv mailing list isn't?  Or is there a different one?

Bah... That'll teach me not to reply in haste while at work :)

I saw RPM Fusion in the subject line and my brain assumed!

> > I just checked my two systems and it's showing unlimited as well, I'm
> > assuming that's the default?
>
> Yeah, unlimited is the default but it's a dangerous default, especially
> (but not limited to) when one has applications which leak memory
> ~cough~thunderbird~cough~ so badly that you machine OOMs every day or two.
>
> But even if nothing leaked memory, applications can be greedy with
> caching and the like and being able to put an upper limit on them that
> is something less than "all of the memory" is a good administrative
> measure.

Hmm... Have you tried various setting to see what allows it to succeed?
We're obviously using the same source an Ubuntu so I assume it's a
difference in build flags? Or enabled components?

Richard