[mythtv-users] Immediate autoexpire recent rec. despite plenty of old rec. to expire

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Wed Oct 30 12:10:44 UTC 2013

Raymond Wagner wrote:
>It's not so much a bug, but merely a deficiency in the disk scheduler.
>It is operating as designed, but does not factor expiration of
>recordings into its decision, since that information is only available
>during the process of recording.  The only real solution is to
>periodically, manually balance out your free space between your two disks.

Indeed, and this is something I do from time to time.

All I do is :
 cd <path to storage directory with least space>
 ls -l
Look at the list and pick a set of files that's not too large between them - typically this is recordings on one of the less used channels. Decide on a file glob that will pick those - eg 1028* which (IIRC) will select all recordings made on Channel 28 on source 1, or you may want to restrict by date range as well eg 1028_2012*
 mv <glob> <path to stoprage directory with more free space>
sit back and leave it to it.

Repeat until your free space is adequate.
NB - You'll want to do this when the system is idle, it kills performance while it's running.