[mythtv-users] All clear QAMs gone in Portland, OR

Mike Carron jmcarron at starstream.net
Wed Oct 30 04:50:55 UTC 2013

-----Original Message-----
From: mythtv-users-bounces at mythtv.org
[mailto:mythtv-users-bounces at mythtv.org] On Behalf Of Michael T. Dean
Sent: Tuesday, October 29, 2013 5:19 PM
To: Discussion about MythTV
Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] All clear QAMs gone in Portland, OR

On 10/29/2013 07:56 PM, Gary Buhrmaster wrote:

> On Oct 29, 2013 11:50 PM, "Michael T. Dean" wrote:
> > Unfortunately, I'm going to need ESPN in the very near future
>
> Need is not the correct term.  Air, water, food are needs.  The rest
> are desires.  Now, I understand about household harmony, but they are
> not needs.  Note for the record I would be very happy to not get ESPN
> and save $2/month on my cable bill.

ESPN was actually getting an estimated $5.05/subscriber/month in 2012 (1),
up from $4.69/sub/mo in 2011 (2) (and $3.65/sub/mo in 2008), and that's just
for the main ESPN channel. (The additional ESPN channels brought in $1.13,
combined, in 2011.)  It has--by far--the largest take of any channel on
cable TV.  TNT was second, last year, at $1.16/sub/mo.  I can't find the
2013 take, but I'm sure it's more than $5.05.

If you're a cable TV subscriber, you're being mugged by ESPN (and the Walt
Disney Co), whether you watch it or not.  You're paying over $72/yr for ESPN
channels, if they're in your subscription package.  The only reason that
ESPN can charge so much is because it has an audience that perceives its
content as a need, and it has contracts with the NFL that grant it exclusive
access to a large number of games, and--most importantly--it has signed a
contract with cable companies granting exclusive access to its content to
cable or satellite TV subscribers.

Mike

http://seekingalpha.com/article/1290141-can-espn-sustain-its-fee-per-subscri
ber-growth
http://www.nasdaq.com/article/can-espn-sustain-its-fee-per-subscriber-growth
-cm229538
http://www.sportsgrid.com/media/espn-cable-subscriber-fees/

**
ESPN is also the most disgustingly unreliable provider when it comes to
actually delivering what the guide says, and not all of it is due to live
sports events running over. For some reason they seem comfortable putting
NASCAR Now in the guide and then delivering Baseball Tonight (or vice versa)
in that time slot for no particular reason I've been able to discern. About
the only thing that can be relied on is that barring a live event,
SportsCenter will come on as advertised.

Unfortunately nearly everyone has some sport they really like to watch that
requires ESPN.

mike