[mythtv-users] MFDB 0.26 failing

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon Oct 28 16:24:36 UTC 2013

On 10/07/2013 03:48 PM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 10/06/2013 09:14 PM, Jay Ashworth wrote:
>> From: "Jay Ashworth"
>>> On this new install of .26, which upgraded our old .23-fixes databases
>>> (seemingly ok, though I rebuilt the tuner cards), mythfilldatabase
>>> seems to
>>> be running, and (according to the screen log) retrieving valid data (I
>>> get
>>> counts of episodes in the 10000 range, etc), but not actually pushing
>>> the
>>> data into the tables.
>>>
>>> 'select starttime,title from program' shows me all old data from
>>> today's
>>> date backwards -- the older data appears not to be being killed off,
>>> either,
>>> even though mfdb says it is.
>>>
>>> Is there a go-to thing to look for for this? I had problems when I
>>> first
>>> set it up, but they appeared to have gone away, and I got a full fill.
>>>
>>> This happens with or without --dd-grab-all
>>>
>>> FWIW: adding --logpath /var/log/mythtv does not drop a log file, with
>>> or
>>> without a trailing slash.
>>>
>>> I can post the output of a run on PB if someone thinks an error that
>>> would
>>> illuminate this is insufficiently obvious for me to have noticed it.
>>> :-)
>>>
>> Folo: Rebooted, ran mfdb --dd-grab-all, and got 3 days; log in
>> http://pastebin.com/csQV5ziG (where it says it only cleared one day).
>>
>> Odd...
>>

>> couch at duckling:/home/jra>  mythfilldatabase --logpath /var/log/mythtv
>> --dd-grab-all
>
>> 2013-10-06 21:10:04.254279 I  Grab complete.  Actual data from
>> 2013-10-06T00:00:00Z to 2013-10-07T00:00:00Z (UTC)
>
> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/554594#554594

Jay, I just remembered one other reason this can occur--but only in
older versions of MythTV (including 0.26).  It will occur if you have
ever run mythfilldatabase as different users on the system, due to reuse
of the same directory name for caching the data.

The best fix is to upgrade to 0.27-fixes to have code where that's
impossible.  The alternative is to remove all the temporary data
mythfilldatabase writes out.  The easiest way to do this on most (all?)
distros is to just reboot (and let the reboot clear out the /tmp
directory structure for you).

Mike