[mythtv-users] Myth .27 no longer has pre-tune channel setting.

Karl Newman newmank1 at asme.org
Wed Oct 23 17:51:15 UTC 2013

On Wed, Oct 23, 2013 at 10:45 AM, Mike Perkins <mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
> wrote:

> On 23/10/13 17:49, Karl Newman wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Oct 23, 2013 at 7:22 AM, Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com
>> >**wrote:
>>

>>  On 10/23/2013 10:01 AM, Stefan Jones wrote:
>>>
>>>  **

>>> searching.  As shown in my previous e-mail, the setting is called,
>>> "Preset
>>> Tuner to Channel".
>>>

>>>  Unless someone has another suggestion, I will manually record on channel
>>>>

>>> A better approach would be to change your external channel change
>>> script--that you need anyway--to issue the appropriate v4l2ctl commands
>>> a) set the TV format (NTSC or PAL), and b) tune channel 3 on the PVR-150
>>> before it does its normal work of changing the STB channel.
>>>
>>> Mike
>>>

>> Is there a good reason not to just restore the "Preset Tuner to Channel"
>> field? Suggesting that people put a workaround in the channel change
>> script
>> is not user-friendly. This is a basic function for analog tuner cards that
>> has worked flawlessly for possibly the entire lifetime of Myth, and is
>> even
>> more important now that analog cards are useless as actual tuners other
>> than as endpoints for set top boxes, which require tuning a fixed channel.
>>
>>  Does your STB not have a composite or component out? That may be a
> better solution than tuning RF channel 3 as you'll get better picture
> definition.
>
> You would require a single v4l2ctl command before the backend starts up to
> select the appropriate input on your PVR150 (and choose the right input in
> the tuner setup screens).
>
> --
>
> Mike Perkins

I have a Comcast DTA, so no, it only has an RF out. But to be honest, I
haven't noticed any difference at all in the picture from the DTA recorded
on channel 3 compared to the set top box which comes in by composite.
Anyway, my point is null because it wasn't clear that Mike was suggesting
it only as a temporary workaround until the setup screen gets fixed.

Karl