[mythtv-users] Suggestions for a partition structure (Craig Cook)

James Linder jam at tigger.ws
Wed Oct 23 00:50:01 UTC 2013

On 23/10/2013, at 1:22 AM, mythtv-users-request at mythtv.org wrote:

>> FWIW, I'm pretty sure EXT4 does not have the same issues with large
>> files (including deleting large
> files) that previous versions of EXT
>> had. IIRC, I believe this was one of the big new features of EXT4.
>> Mythbuntu for one uses EXT4 as the default filesystem for the
>> recordings partition.
>
> I attended a Linux Performance Tuning class at LISA 12.? Instructor was Theodore Ts'o.? One of the maintainers of the ext4 file system.
>
> One of his comments was that ext4 was a good general purpose file system.? If you are dealing with large files XFS is a better file system since it was designed by SGI to handle large files.

Actually the whole area is steeped in myth
eg this discussion on EXT4
eg the suggestion earlier of a /boot partition ... for medieval bios' ... please give me a break - for younger folk who prodly never heard of the bios 1024 boot limit. Nevermind newer boards with EFI.
So the intentions are probably good but the advice is pretty bad.

James