[mythtv-users] Suggestions for a partition structure

Karl Newman newmank1 at asme.org
Tue Oct 22 22:55:07 UTC 2013

On Tue, Oct 22, 2013 at 3:36 PM, Thomas Boehm <mythtv-users at lists.boehmi.net
> wrote:

> Karl Newman wrote:
>
> > ... But both JFS and XFS have one minor
> > drawback (could be major depending on your use case): they can't be
> > shrunk.
>
> And you need to shrink your storage partitions when?
>
> Media files are getting bigger, not smaller. And I guess you will keep
> more files than you delete over time...

If you want to rearrange your data without having to nuke the drive and
restore from backup, you may need to shrink your partitions and the
filesystems on it, say if you need to allocate more to your system
partition so you'd like to take some from your generously-allocated media
partition. It's not a common situation and I did say it's minor (unless you
need it!).

Karl