[mythtv-users] RPMFusion 0.27 availability

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Tue Oct 22 16:37:14 UTC 2013

On Tue, Oct 22, 2013 at 4:29 PM, John Pilkington <J.Pilk at tesco.net> wrote:
> Personally I feel Richard is being ultra-cautious here.  Do people really
> accept any 'upgrade' on offer without a second thought?

Many people have yum do regular automated upgrades.  And even
those that wait for the notification just hit "OK" (I blame Windows
for training that into users).

Now, one *could* build MythTV packages (say, named MythTV027)
that did not upgrade the existing MythTV packages but marked
them as obsoleting the MythTV packages if installed (to do this
right, one would have to also update the MythTV package to
obsolete MythTV027).  There would be two (sets) of packages in
rpmfusion one could choose from.  Since they would obsolete each
other you can install one (set) or the other.  This is what the
MariaDB packages do for MySQL.  It is not common, but is
done for some cases.

However, this is a lot of packaging work (and, of course, testing).
I suspect unless someone wants to contribute the packaging
work, it is not likely to be done this way.

Gary