[mythtv-users] Wightman Telecom

Joseph Fry joe at thefrys.com
Mon Oct 21 18:54:30 UTC 2013

>> This list may not include anyone that uses Wightman telecom, but I thought
>> I'd ask...
>>
>> Is anyone using the Wightman IPTV service (which is apparently an MS IPTV
>> protocol) with Wightman Telecom in Ontario, Canada?
>
> MS MediaRoom providers are all about the same with regard to mythtv...
> a pain in the pocketbook.  Essentially, you will need to use a HDPVR
> or similar tool to record an analog output from your STB.  This means
> one STB + one HDPVR = one concurrent recording.  So it can get costly
> if you need to record more than one show at a time.  Additionally, you
> get the pleasure of dealing with setting up a blaster to control the
> STB.
>
> Ericsson bought MediaRoom from MS, so hopefully the next version opens
> it up a bit, though I kinda doubt it.  Even so, most mediaroom based
> IPTV providers haven't even allowed XBOX to play TV (a feature that
> was added on the last release of mediaroom)... do I doubt that even if
> Ericsson does add the ability to use a PC as your STB, the providers
> won't be enabling that feature.

If your curious what to expect from the first "Ericsson MediaRoom"
release, there is a good review of one of their early prototypes here:
http://informitv.com/news/2013/09/20/ericssonmediaroomredefines/

They are definitely trying to make MediaRoom a "multi-screen"
system... but they don't mention using a PC to view content (though I
wouldn't be surprised to see iOS and Android support).  And even if
they did add PC support, it would likely be limited to Windows devices
with a "Protected Media Path"/ HDCP/ DRM BS.