[mythtv-users] Playing encrypted DVD broken in 0.27?

Peter Mitchell peterpf_mitchell at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Oct 19 17:15:35 UTC 2013

On Saturday, 19 October 2013, 3:00, Nathan Faust <faustnathan at gmail.com> wrote:

Have you set the dvd player region yet?
>https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RestrictedFormats/PlayingDVDs#Setting_DVD_Region_Codes
>On Oct 17, 2013 5:45 PM, "Greg Cope" <gregcope at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>Hi All,
>>

>>Building a new 0.27 system on a Revo R3610 with Ubuntu 12.04/Mythbuntu.  This is a combined frontend/backend.
>>

>>I can do most things, but playing encrypted ISOs from ripped DVDs (yes I do own them!).  Playing mpg via video works well.
>>

>>e.g.
>>

>>Oct 16 22:36:25 s mythfrontend.real: mythfrontend[2533]: W CoreContext mythplayer.cpp:947 (OpenFile) Player(4): OpenFile() waiting on data
>>Oct 16 22:36:26 s mythfrontend.real: mythfrontend[2533]: E CoreContext DVD/dvdringbuffer.cpp:710 (safe_read) DVDRB: Failed to read block: Encrypted or faulty DVD
>>

>>I have the following installed;
>>libdvdcss2install
>>libdvdnav4install
>>libdvdread4install
>>

>>Is encrypted DVD video broken in 0.27?  This works fine on my 0.24 system.
>>

>>Ta.
>>

>>Greg

Are you using a storage group for the video folder containing your iso images? If so then playback of encrypted iso images is not supported with 0.25 - 0.27 basically because the dvd image is being streamed to the frontend where it is decoded rather than being read directly from the image on the hosting disc partition. As the frontend cannot see the iso image libdvdcss is unable to decode an encrypted disc.

If this is the case then you can try switching back from using a storage group to the old way of doing things which involved the frontend mounting the video partition (obviously having a combined front / backend this is already in place).

Alternatively you could try patching mythtv such that iso's are decrypted by the backend before being streamed to the frontend. There has been a patch for this since 0.25 which I notice has finally been submitted into trunk as part of 0.28 (See track ticket#11602). I have been using the patch previously with 0.25 and currently with 0.26  so can vouch that it works.

A second thing for you to investigate would be whether Mythbuntu is built to use libdvdcss. As I built my system from scratch and have never tried one of the prebuilt distributions I cannot answer this. However when I did build my system it was necessary to explicitly build it with dvdcss support by adding the following options when running ./configure:

./configure <your normal build options> --extra-cflags="-DHAVE_DVDCSS_DVDCSS_H" --extra-libs="-ldvdcss"

Without doing this mythtv does not load libdvdcss regardless of it being installed or not. Additionally when built this way mythtv will not start if libdvdcss is not installed. I suspect that if you had to implicitly install libdvdcss on your mythbuntu machine then the build is not compiled to use the library. Mythbuntu users really need to comment on this!

Regards

Peter