[mythtv-users] diagnosing HDHome Run Prime zero byte recordings

Stephen P. Villano stephen.p.villano at gmail.com
Fri Oct 18 14:43:27 UTC 2013

On 10/18/13 10:28 AM, Eric Sharkey wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 18, 2013 at 10:06 AM, Raymond Wagner <raymond at wagnerrp.com> wrote:
>> On 10/18/2013 9:55 AM, David Linville wrote:
>>> It's not so just the encryption but also the authorization values.  They
>>> can change show to show.
> Which cable provider are you using?
>
>>> Here is an example of a channel that returns zero byte recordings.  It is
>>> unencrypted  but set to copyonce. []  My Prime
>>> hdhomerun will not record it.
>> A Prime without an activated card will behave like a standard QAM tuner
> You aren't seriously suggesting he should pop the card out before
> trying to record certain programs, are you?
>
> No one should be using a Prime without a card.  It doesn't make economic sense.
>
> Eric

My read is that he's saying that my non-activated card will make the
tuner act like a standard QAM tuner.
I agree. Without the activation, the card won't be able to decode any
encrypted channels.
However, the strange part is that I didn't get Epix on STB or my HDHR
Prime until I subscribed to that premium channel.
So, they're doing something, not entirely sure what.
Hence, my question on determining encryption, copy flags, other flags,
etc. If for nothing else presently, for my own edification.