[mythtv-users] diagnosing HDHome Run Prime zero byte recordings

Stephen P. Villano stephen.p.villano at gmail.com
Thu Oct 17 17:06:27 UTC 2013

On 10/17/13 12:58 PM, Gary Buhrmaster wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 17, 2013 at 4:44 PM, Eric Sharkey <eric at lisaneric.org> wrote:
>> On Thu, Oct 17, 2013 at 12:37 PM, Gary Buhrmaster
>> <gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> And without instrumentation, how do you know it "just works"?
>> If there's a problem without any observable symptom, is there really a problem?
> Are we arguing the "If one does not do the time, there was no crime"?
>
> If you have instrumentation, you can observe any problems.
> I do understand some believe technology is magic (one of
> Clark's 3 laws).  But it is not.
I don't know about that. Quantum computing sure gives the appearance of
magic.  ;)
More seriously, that's why I love managed switches. I can mirror a port
and monitor traffic to see what goes awry.

>> True, but seriously, what fraction of home users are doing that sort
>> of stuff?
> This list is a self selected group that likes the technology
> hobby which is MythTV (and usally that includes Linux).
> They are not your typical home user.  Your typical home
> user would pay the $20+/month for the MSO STB.  The
> MythTV user is much more likely to have a more complex
> home network of systems.

I actually do have a STB DVR from my provider. Always nice to have a
backup, though I prefer MythTV as I can save any program that I really
like and want to keep. Can't do that with an STB with my provider.
>> At what point can you honestly recommend this kind of
>> hardware on a general mailing list?
> I would recommend it on any list that I participate on
> when it is appropriate, and necessary.  Obigatory
> xkde ref:  http://xkcd.com/386/
My life is similar, though it's usually figuring out some arcane
problem, then letting developers know about it, with full logs and even
packet contents, when necessary.