[mythtv-users] diagnosing HDHome Run Prime zero byte recordings

Eric Sharkey eric at lisaneric.org
Thu Oct 17 16:44:31 UTC 2013

On Thu, Oct 17, 2013 at 12:37 PM, Gary Buhrmaster
<gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 17, 2013 at 4:28 PM, Eric Sharkey <eric at lisaneric.org> wrote:
>> I highly recommend using a switch that costs no more than $19.99, is
>> unmanaged, and "just works".
>
> And without instrumentation, how do you know it "just works"?

If there's a problem without any observable symptom, is there really a problem?

> I want (and have used) the ability to
> mirror ports, run different networks (vlans) on a switch,
> to trunk between switches, prioritize my voip traffic, and
> watch for packet drops or ethernet issues.  What you think
> of as overkill may be a minimal feature set for others.

True, but seriously, what fraction of home users are doing that sort
of stuff?  At what point can you honestly recommend this kind of
hardware on a general mailing list?

Larry Roberts wants to use a HDHR Prime to record TV and get reliable
results.  He doesn't need a managed switch to do that.  It's not going
to solve his problem.

Eric