[mythtv-users] Can't simultaneously record two programs with 3 (or 4) available tuners v2

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Thu Oct 17 05:41:55 UTC 2013

On Thu, Oct 17, 2013 at 5:12 AM, Karl Newman <newmank1 at asme.org> wrote:
> Yeah, I didn't catch that he was also looking to record OTA so the digital
> tuners could be used for that. And it may be possible that the Comcast is
> eliminating the analog signal he's been using

Comcast completed their "digital transition" (i.e. no analogue NTSC
broadcast directly over the cable) quite some time ago in almost
all markets (I will not claim there are no outliers; especially as
Comcast purchases some M&P cable co. that they have not
completed conversion yet).  However, all the DTAs have NTSC
analog output, so it is *possible* to use NTSC cards.

Ignoring hardware failures, there are examples in the wiki to help
get blasters working more reliably, but as you say, it can be a bit
of a challenge, since lirc is, shall we say, somewhat special.

If one wants/needs the cable channels on Comcast (with the
exception of the premium channels such as HBO, Showtime,
Starz, etc.), an OCUR (CableCard) tuner really is the thing to
purchase for ease of usage.  There are many people for which
OTA is sufficient.  In with case, almost any digital tuner works.
(Note, just for the record, that the current HDHR Prime model
does not do OTA.  It is cable only.)

Gary