[mythtv-users] Can't simultaneously record two programs with 3 (or 4) available tuners v2

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Wed Oct 16 07:07:11 UTC 2013

On Tue, 15 Oct 2013 22:19:12 -0500, you wrote:

>> If you don’t have any then do this as root:
>>
>> 	echo options saa7164 adapter_nr=6,7 > /etc/modprobe.d/hvr2250.conf
>
>Did that to, BUT...
>the result/response was:
>   -bash: /etc/modprobe.d/hvr2250.conf: Permission denied

"Permission denied" normally means that you need to use sudo in front
of the command.  That echo command is writing to one of the system
control directories (/etc/modprobe.d), where normal users have read
persmission, but not write permission or create file permission.  So
using sudo is necessary to run the command as the root user, who
always has all permissions.

>Despite the message, I restarted the machine anyway.
>
>After the restart, I did the "ls /dev/dvb" again, and came up with exactly the same results (again, in blue):
>      adaptor0  adaptor1  adaptor2
>

>later,        LP

The colours in ls command results tell you about the permissions of a
file.  I never remember just what each colour means, but a different
colour is always a good hint that it has different permissions.  If
you hate the colours, they are configurable somewhere.  A google will
tell you how.  In the mean time, you can always add the --color=never
option to any ls command to turn the colours off.  I find that
particular darkish blue colour is quite hard to read.